World Usability Day 2009
- 12th November 2009
- User Vision offices, 55 North Castle Street, Edinburgh, EH2 3QA.
- See a map of this venue .
What is World Usability Day?
It is not uncommon to experience the frustration of trying to use a product or service that just doesn't work. That is one of the reasons World Usability Day was established; to highlight the importance of developing user friendly products and services, and more so the benefits to customers and organisations alike that usable products and services bring.
Once again User Vision will be supporting this annual event, and in 2009, it is not only about being user friendly, but environmentally friendly also. So we hope you can join us to see how 'Designing for a Sustainable World' is important and relevant to making our world work better.
What will the day involve?
There will be a great variety of activities to entertain visitors at our Edinburgh office, including interactive demonstrations, live usability and accessibility tests and workshops. The aim is to highlight the key user experience and environmental issues that many of us face on a daily basis, and with the current environmental climate, will need to continue to consider in the future.
Some of the activities that we will run include:
- Tackle climate change on mobile devices: See how easy (or difficult) it is to join a community working to reduce carbon emissions using a mobile phone.
- Calculate your environmental impact online: Use online calculators to see how you can save money and reduce your carbon footprint using a range of websites. Let us know which gives you the better online experience.
- How easy is it to recycle?: Is it really as easy as following instructions? Is it learnable? See how to classify items into the correct recycling bins.
- Control your radiator settings from one device: Save energy by using a 'Honeywell Zoning Device'. Using this interface, see if you can set a different temperature in each room.
- How accessible are online carbon offsetting sites?: See live usability tests of disabled users using a range of carbon offsetting websites.
- What accessibility issues do disabled people have when recycling?: Watch a video of a disabled user to find out.
- How do adverts make you feel?: See our iMotions technology in action to find out what emotional impact adverts have on users.
How to book
If you would like to attend, please sign up or call 0131 225 0858. It will be an 'open house' from 2.00pm to 6.00pm, so feel free to pop in and get involved in this unique and worthwhile experience. We will be serving light refreshments throughout the afternoon and the event is free!
We hope you can join us!
See what happened at last year's World Usability Day event.